Monday 1 April 2013

Contentment - a refresher course!

Contentment comes when we learn that our peace is more important then things around us!
When we are content, its because we have trusted that God will do whatever He needs to do in us and that we have retained our peace! Contentment requires a trust in God, and a belief that He is doing things in and through us that we may not like, but will make us better people and will bring us into a deeper understanding of Him and us!
I can honestly say that I am content without a flushing toilet! (I may not like it, but I am content.) Most women in this modern society may not be able to say that, but having lived with a toilet that didn't flush for over a year (we had a bucket next to it for flushing purposes), I know that I can say I was content! I can say that simply because I hate nagging. I hate it when people nag me to do something, so if I hate it so much, why should I practice it?? Also, I know that when my husband sets about doing a task, he researches all his options, checks to see if anything could go wrong (in the case of the toilet - we required an epic amount of effort in order to succeed. It wasn't as small a task as we first hoped.), and then he sets about doing it! I waited for over a year for the toilet to be reconnected to the water! But as my husband found out - our pipes were beyond repair. It all had to be replaced! We've replaced the majority of it now, but the rest really needs to be done too!
Learning to live in a house that is undergoing some major renovations is not always a fun thing to do! There is always something that never has a home, because where it needs to go is a construction zone!
Paul said that he had learn to be content in all things, whether rich or poor, starving or well fed... I'm not sure that I can go that far, but I can say that I can live without some modern conveniences without complaint! Some things are not worth loosing your peace over! God doesn't always calm our storms, mostly, He walks with us in the midst of them! And grasping hold of that is where we learn to be content and at peace! Its easier said than done! My first lesson on contentment took me 7 years to learn! This time, my refresher course took me a little over a year! Hopefully, the next refresher course (if needed) will be shorter!!

No comments: