Wednesday 6 February 2013

Job 10 Part 1

I am disgusted with my life. Let me complain freely. My bitter soul must complain. Job 10:1 NLT

Disgusted is quite a strong word! And if I was disgusted with my life I would complain too... I know that people would tell me to get over myself, build a bridge, learn to swim, do something about it... But I would want to complain! And to be perfectly honest – I think Job had a right to complain! What had he done to tick the devil off so badly to make him want to seek the destruction of Job? Was it simply because Job shunned evil and lived as righteously as he could??

I will say to God, “Don't simply condemn me – tell me the charge you are bringing against me. Job 10:2 NLT

The only charge that was “against” Job was that he was blameless and upright before God and that ticked off the devil! But Job didn't know this piece of information. I know that when Exavier died, I had words to say to both God and the devil! They were both polite enough to give me an audience so I could share my complaint with both of them! I didn't want my only child to die! I felt weak and helpless and vulnerable... Imagine what Job has been through... He had 10 children and he lost them all... I cant even begin to imagine what that would feel like. Forget about everything else – just dwell on the loss of the children for a second or two! I can understand why Job felt condemned!

What do you gain by oppressing me? Why do you reject me, the work of your own hands, while smiling on the schemes of the wicked? Job 10:3 NLT

What does God obtain by allowing a person to be oppressed? Hopefully, a person with a closer relationship and a deeper understanding of and with God! That is what Job ultimately got! Things that come against us should push us closer to God! Seeking his face for understanding and wisdom! While I don't think that God rejected Job, He certainly did allow the devil to do his thing... But in my understanding that was to prove a point to the devil! And I certainly don't think that God smiles of the schemes of the wicked! While we humans do feel like that at times! There's plenty in Proverbs that says that the wicked will be punished for their sins. How much did Job know about God? Enough to fear Him, but not enough to understand His ways of doing things! And had Job even heard of the devil? He knew about evil, because he shunned it! How much can we get wrong because we don't know!

No comments: